Helpful advice for good mosquito protection. Keep those critters away - follow these easy tips.
- Hang an insecticide treated mosquito net over beds, if the room cannot be kept free of mosquitoes (cabins or huts, tents, etc.) or if you are in a high-risk area.
clothes that cover as much of your
body as possible i.e.: long-sleeved
shirts, long pants, socks covering
the ankles, etc.
- Use insect repellents in cream, lotion or spray form on uncovered body parts
The composition of the medium determines how long it is effective:
For example, creams have a longer-lasting effect than sprays.
Common active substances such as ethereal oils, N,N-Diethyl-m-Toluamide (DEET) or Dimethylophthalate are very effective. Click here for lots of great information on natural mosquito prevention methods.
- Use insecticides in form of aerosols, vaporizers, candles, smoke spirals or others in living and, most of all, in sleeping areas
- Remain in mosquito-protected rooms after twilight and at night
i.e.: in rooms with air-conditioning or mosquito nets attached to windows and doors.
- For country tours: select sites for sleep. Rest at a distance from stale waters, ditches and water barrels.
- Avoid traveling in high-risk areas during the rain season.
- In view of the fact that these measures of protection
against mosquito bites are practically
free of risks, they should be carried
out meticulously by all people traveling
in areas of endemic malaria.